… I bring you my husband’s famous pumpkin bars.
(Also known as Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake.)
Don’t they look scrumptious?
Believe me – they are.
Or don’t believe me. Try them yourself. They are extremely easy to make.
Although I wouldn’t actually know that for sure, as I have never baked them myself. (Husband forbade me from doing so. They are HIS THING.)
But my husband makes it look easy.
Then again, he makes many things look easy. Like physics and Guitar Hero and sewing up a head wound.
Okay, I’ve never actually SEEN him sew up a head wound. But I think he’s done it once or twice. And he is GOOD. His surgery attending in med school told him so.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
1 (18 1/4 oz) package of yellow cake mix
8 Tbsp butter, melted
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp vanilla
8 Tbsp butter, melted**
1 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
3. In large bowl, beat cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. Add powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix well. Spread over cake batter.
4. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Center should be a little gooey.
You should really wait until the pumpkin bars are cool to cut them. I’m sure it would make the whole cutting thing easier, and you’d wind up with a lot less pumpkin bar on the knife and your hands.
But I wouldn’t know. Because I can never wait that long. And hey. They may not be cut into perfect little squares. But they are DAMN TASTY.
* Or one hungry work-from-home woman.
** What? I didn’t say it was good for you.